Photo credit: Nick Kenrick
Creativity is so important as an artist and entrepreneur. If we weren’t creative, there would be no innovation and we wouldn’t evolve.
Over the years I’ve offered various ways to help get the creative juices flowing such as bringing color and design into your environment, reconnecting with nature, and more.
In this post I’m going to share a few luxurious ways to boost your creativity. As someone who appreciates the finer things in life and will splurge (with time or money) every once in awhile on something I really want, I’ve discovered that ideas and creative juices are waiting in every experience that you invest in.
1) Take an extended vacation. In many European and other countries around the world, people can take a 2-4 week vacation. Here in the U.S. we’re lucky if we can take a 1 week vacation. Well, if you’re an entrepreneur, you can take a vacation whenever you want, but either way in our society a 1 week vacation every year is typical. We grind it out for 51 weeks out of the year and then wonder why we’re burnt out and get sick so often. An extended vacation will do your mind, health, and creativity wonders.
2) Treat yourself to a meal at a fine restaurant. I recently watched the movie, “The Hundred-Foot Journey” about a talented culinary sensation, which made me realize how much creativity goes into putting together a great meal. For chefs in particular, it’s a challenge to come up with something unique and creative, yet still taste magnificent.
I found out about a Hotel Megeve called the Domaine Du Mont D’Arbois where this restaurant Megeve offers so many interesting dishes. I think just being around a relaxing environment and eating such good food would give you the warm fuzzies and inspire you to create something phenomenal as well.
3) Do absolutely nothing. As an extension to tip #1 above, a vacation does include a good amount of rest, and part of that is simply doing nothing. Actually, it may not be so simple for people who feel the need to be active or productive every waking moment. I actually used to be one of those people, but I’m getting much better at taking time out to just sit, relax, and do nothing even if it’s just 10-15 minutes a day. I let my mind clear and slow down all the thoughts so I can be more focused.
Photo Credit: bobbyfiend on Flickr
4) Drink a glass of very good wine. Drink a glass of very good wine. If you don’t drink alcohol then you can skip this tip, but for those of you who enjoy a nice glass of wine, you may be interested to know that there has been research linking wine with creativity.
5) Treat yourself to a nice, designer outfit. You’ve probably heard that old saying “Dress for success”. When you dress and look good, you feel good, which in turn can help boost productivity and creativity. And don't feel like you have to spend a ton of money to dress good. There are many resale stores, consignment stores, and the beauty of the Internet to find all kinds of deals on designer clothing.
Hopefully these tips will inspire you to try something out of your comfort zone. Remember that being open to new experiences is one of the most important keys to creativity!